Here are some links to check out!
- The Exponent II turned 40! Our friend Tona writes about the festivities. And for the first time in Boston retreat history, a reporter was allowed in to portions of the event. Here’s what was published in the Botson Globe!
- The General Women’s Meeting of the church was held last weekend. Huge news — for the first time in history, a woman of color gave a prayer at a session of General Conference! (Sister Dorah Mkhabela from the YW General Board) Reporters and press were barred from attending the meeting in person this time. For anyone who did attend in person, did you stop by the display of Kathleen Peterson’s artwork of the “Girls who choose God” illustrations, hanging in the Conference Center? Julie M. Smith from T&S highlights the meeting nicely.
- The Mormon Messages video about the over-extended mom in “You Never Know” circulated Facebook recently, as did some well-thought out critiques and analysis. Make sure you read what Catherine from Segullah had to say about it.
- Ordain Women will undertake a local action this weekend for the Priesthood session of general conference.
- Remember the frilly poster about the Europe Area Women’s meeting a while back? Some nice words, some not-so-nice words shared there. Jana Riess writes about it and Rune from fMh cartoons about it.
- Neylan McBaine’s book, Women at Church, is out and making headlines. Have you read it, or shared it with anyone? This week she shares a thought-provoking post about the low graduation rates for females in Utah.
- UN Goodwill Ambassador Emma Watson (of Harry Potter fame!) creates a buzz in her speech calling for male allies in the feminist cause and launches the HeForShe campaign. A 15-year-old boy’s positive response went viral in the Sunday Telegraph. Is “feminist” a dirty word? Joseph Gordon-Leavitt doesn’t think so.
Did you attend the Women’s meeting last weekend? Would your 15-year-old son or brother listen to Hermione talk about feminism? Tell us in the comments!Read More