About 15 years ago I heard Louise Plummer speak at a Relief Society even where she challanged us to write about our lives. She offered several prompts for daily writing, and among them was to open your fridge or your purse and list exactly when you find there in your daily journal. I went home that night and wrote a journal entry about what I found under my couch, and to this day it’s one of my favorites (I had little kids at the time and found food, toys, a pacifier, etc–such a sweet slice of memory now that my kids are taller than I am!).
So today, I bring you the contents of my purse, and challenge you to list yours, too (or those of your fridge or what you find in the couch cushions or some other place that gathers stuff). When you find this entry ten years from now, it’s sure to evoke strong memories of this period of your life.
- My name badge/keycard from work, on a retractable clip
- an iPad & iPhone charger
- conference namebadge from an event this past weekend, and some schwag from the event
- a pile of my own business cards that I’d been passing along at said conference, and a small stack of cards that I collected from other people (including the business cards of some people that I’ve recently dated)
- 3 used kleenexes (ugh)
- a pen from watch.tv (from a conference last month)
- a plain black rollerball pen (from work)
- one tube of ELF pink lipgloss
- My car and house keys (though, sans my car remote because my car’s in the shop today), with a USB memory stick from a conference that I sponsored in January
- my toiletry bag that contains: 2 thin maxipads, 12 OB tampons, and 2 condoms
- a necklace–coincidentally it’s one that was given to me by fellow Exponent blogger G
- a spare valve for my artificial leg
- the envelope from a hotel key, from a recent jaunt to Fairfax, VA
- a few crumpled receipts, including one from my prosthetist for the new skin I received yesterday, one from the Bollywood Bistro, from Chapman Coffee, and from the gym where I went rock climbing yesterday.
- one quarter, 2003
- my iPhone was also in my purse, but I had to use it to take the picture above, so it’s not in the photo itself
This list says a LOT about me and where I’m at right now, where work and conference travel eclipse most of my daily life. It also says a lot about the way I plan for emergencies (tampons! leg valve! iPhone charger!).
So please share, what are you carrying in your purse today and what does it tell us about your lifestyle?