Posted by Zenaida
I haven’t been to the temple in almost a year. Until recently. There are so many reasons for this hiatus of which I could create an extensive list and has been discussed around many forums, but for this post I want to focus on the things that I like about temple attendance:
- I love meditation. Sitting with a set time frame contemplating life, the universe, and everything brings clarity, peace, and drive to improve.
- I love connecting with nature and seeing God’s majesty in the world. Animals, plants, landscape. Nature is absolutely awe inspiring!
- I love having community support of values and morals and ideals.
- I love the equality of every person there dressed in white (disregarding the inequality of male/female attire and individual choice to wear expensive/less expensive attire). It allows you to see that person as they are: Divine.
- I love escaping the mundane and the banal to a beautiful place, created by men with their best efforts meant to reach for the divine, and to be supportive, embracing, healing, etc.
- I actually love the initiatory.
Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I want to say that I have many issues with the temple, and my recent attendance has not alleviated them, but I want to know if Mormon temples have the monopoly on these things. You know, I think the answer is no, but I am wondering if I personally can find ways to find fulfillment like this from other sources. Are there personal experiences with the temple that keep you going even if it is hard to do?