Another roundup of some must-read articles shared on the Internet this week.
- Evolving conversations between Traditionalists and Feminists – an excellent piece by Andrea Radke-Moss (I love her paragraph of paradoxes on page 2!) And be sure to check out her essay/teaching on basic feminist terminology and theory. Feminism 101 for everyone!
- Be sure to click over to this article showing the progression of women’s voices in our community, from the old days of the original Exponent up to today!
- Lots of opinions and interpretations about Women and the Priesthood out there recently. Fiona Givens writes a piece about Joseph Smith and the early Relief Society. Valerie Hudson describes ways to rid our church of non-doctrinal cultural hindrances regarding what women can/cannot do. The Church of England votes to allow women Bishops (like a 70 Authority)
- Kate Kelly reflects on her excommunication and asserts what’s next for Ordain Women: Carrying on!
- Bloggers, feminists, and allys chime in about current events, some to great positive receptions, others at the cost of church discipline. Popular Blogger Cjane Kendrick directs her words of support of OW to her young daughters. MikeC describes how he offered words of support in a testimony meeting and how his ward family responded. Brother Jake makes a hilarious yet poignant “Instructional video” about church discipline. Kiwimormon shares positive experiences with her local leaders and gives suggestions for building Zion. fMh bloggers and readers discuss Missionary efforts affected by feminism, share personal experiences of discipline, and offer hope about what happens after that. Our Jewish sister, Eden Farber, talks about what it’s like to stay active in her Orthodox faith.
- an important piece by Nancy Ross, chronicling the rise in feminism, particularly in its rapid ascent due to digital accessibility. And another from Ozy with some great interviews.
- Some surprising details about Mormon women’s issues on the Global scale, particularly of note is how women are used in higher levels of ward leadership in Hong Kong (labeled a special case of local need by the larger church). Read this for sure!
- A recent study of talks given by General Authorities shows very little change in the talking points about gender roles in the church over the last 40 years. And the Mormon Therapist postulates that gender roles are bad for mental health.
- The church responds to the recent SCOTUS ruling about birth control health coverage (read Joanna’s older piece about the church not covering birth control to its employees) and you’ve got to click over to watch this guy’s song. He turned Justice Ginsburg’s dissent into an awesome feminist anthem which includes the hilarious addition of “slut-shaming geezers” to the tirade.
- Though not LDS specific, this article about the “anti-feminist” is worth reading. I challenge someone from the Bloggernacle to write an LDS version of this article!
- And finally, the piece that impacted my heart the most this week was a poignant yet still slightly funny article by Robert Kirby about how our most loving relationships are sometimes sacrificed on the alter of theology. Read this, then call your brother/sister/friend/aunt/cousin and tell them you love them.