Contact

You can contact us with feedback, RS lesson ideas, or Guest Posts at: ExponentblogATgmailDOTcom.

We look forward to hearing from you 🙂

164 Responses

1. Marilee Welsh says:

Has anyone written anything for RS lesson #26 yet? I really enjoy gleaning information from this site. Thanks

2. Kiri Close says:

Along with RS lesson ideas, can we do the same with YW lessons? Maybe this blog already has stuff for teaching YW lessons, but I can’t seem to locate them? Would love some help on that.
    –kiri
    ;o)

3. Kiri Close says:

Also, how do I change me little quilt pattern avatar to a photo?

4. staci vega says:

Are you going to post about lesson 31 anytime
    soon??
    Thanks

5. Alisa says:

Kiri, I’m new here, but as far as I know we don’t do YW lessons. Beginnings New seems to: http://beginningsnew.blogspot.com/

6. Caroline says:

Staci, We post the lessons (usually) the Tuesday before they are scheduled to be given.

7. Kiri Close says:

thx, Caroline! that site is a great help & I’ll check it out in more depth.

also, how do i change my little quilt pattern avatar to a photo, or other image?

xoxoxo, –kiri;o)

8. JennS says:

I get the feeling that LDS feminists are focused on “pure” feminist issues ie. 2nd wave, and not so interested in transnational/post-colonial/women of color issues. Are Exponent readers interested in the intersection of gender and race?

9. Caroline says:

Jenn S, I think you’re right that most of us Mofems are not on the cutting edge of feminism in general. And I think that’s because most of us don’t have the education to know much about transnational or global feminist issues. I actually took a class last semester in women’s studies in religion, and my mind was blown open about all the new movements and theories out there. In all my reading of Mormon feminist issues, I had never come across post-structuralist theory, or the ways women of color have felt excluded from the feminist movement.

Do you have particular knowledge about these issues? If so, please do send us a guest post!

Kiri, I wish I knew more about wordpress. I imagine you get rid of that little quilt symbol by altering/creating your wordpress profile. That’s not very helpful, I’m afraid.

10. Violet says:

I can answer Kiri’s question even though I’m not one of the contributers, I use wordpress for my blog. Kiri – If you want a different photo other than the quilt you have to create a gravatar, which is associated with your email address at http://en.gravatar.com/.

Any blog that allows commenters to use their own gravatar will show up next to your comment. I’m not sure if Exponent is set up to allow commenters to use there own avatars since I’m not in the know on that. Gravatars don’t work on blogger blogs though.

11. Violet says:

I have a comment in moderation, can someone help? Thanks!

12. EmilyCC says:

Hi Violet, to prevent spamming, we are moderating comments with email addresses and websites. Thanks for answering Kiri’s question!

13. JennS says:

Caroline, Not sure I’m ready to post because from browsing fmh and other sites like these, mainstream mormon feminists show very little interest in the topic. Maybe it’s useful to talk about why that is… please email me, we met in claremont!

14. Alisa says:

JennS, I for one would love to see a post about race and feminism. Some may not be interested, but I think others are just influenced by their experience being a white woman in the Church. I would love to learn more about your ideas.

Also, have you seen the work of Margaret Young? She sometimes blogs over at By Common Consent and is very interested in Mormon issues of race. Maybe she can give you some ideas and answers where feminism comes in, as she’s done amazing research.

15. EmilyCC says:

JennS, having some Womanist, Chicana, and/or lesbian Mormon bloggers on The Exponent, gives me goose bumps just thinking about it! I think those (and other women of color) voices are important, and it makes me sad that we don’t see more of them on/in? the bloggernacle.

Perhaps because many of the Mormon feminist bloggers are white/heterosexual/American/upper middle class, it appears that we’re uninterested. As someone who falls into that category, I’m often unsure of how to talk about transnational or post-colonial feminism. If I did, I worry I’d look like I was trying to speak for a group that I have no right to speak for. It’s definitely a problem that should be explored more.

16. Jana says:

I’ve posted about disability issues, which might be categorized as beyond the Second Wave of feminism.

17. amyb says:

I think one part of the reason 3rd wave feminism and beyond aren’t frequently discussed on the mo-fem blogs is because the Mormon church is still mired in issues of first and second wave feminism. Those issues are still the very real struggles of women who choose to stay. Just my 2 cents.

18. Karren Paxman says:

Help! I’ve never commented before this, but I’m really struggling for some ideas for the R.S. lesson #32. It seems so much like lesson #30. Any input would be appreciated. By the way, love this site!

19. Lynda Avery says:

Are you going to post anything on lesson 32?
    I have a friend who has to substitute for that lesson and she’s in panic! Any help is appreciated.

20. Caroline says:

Lynda, Lesson 32 has been up for a long time now. Just scroll down and look under the tags on the right. You’ll see ‘Relief Society Lessons’ Click on it. It’s the top one.

21. Evelyn says:

Do you know when lesson 33 will be up? Thanks for all of your help….I couldn’t do this without you all!!!!

22. Kali says:

I love getting ideas for RS lessons. I’m always checking to read what you post. I really depend on your ideas. Looking for Chapter 33 asap

23. Kali says:

Love lesson ideas. I’m always searching to get help. Sure could use help with Chapter 33 asap

24. Caroline says:

Evelyn, I’m supposed to get lesson 33 up today, but I’m running a bit behind. Expect to see it up on Wednesday.

25. Jakers says:

Needing help with lesson 34 on forgiveness ASAP!!!! HELP PLEASE!!

26. EmilyCC says:

Hi Jakers, we’ll have something up by the end of today. Thanks for your patience!

27. vicki says:

i am looking fo ideas on lesson 35 on redemption for the dead

28. VaLons Fabrizio says:

where is the information on lessons 33. I can not seem to find it.Thanks

29. staci vega says:

Lesson 35 anytime soon?? My ward must be ahead
    because I always teach before the lesson is
    posted.

30. EmilyCC says:

Hi Staci, sorry, Lesson 35 has been up for a while, but it was mislabelled as 34:

31. Brooke says:

To those who contribute RS lesson ideas, I want to give you all a huge virtual hug! You have no idea how invaluable your ideas have been for me. I prepare the lesson on my own, and then cull all of the goodies from your posts (and from the many comments from other readers). Your insights and suggested articles, ideas, and quotes really help to make my lessons more interesting and inspirational.

Thank you!

32. Clara says:

I certainly appreciate and use these helps for the RS lessons.. I was wondering when the helps for Lesson 35..Redemption for the Dead will be out.It is our lesson Sunday June 21st.
    Thanks again for all the helps…

33. Gayle says:

Has anyone got ideas on lesson 35 on Charity?

34. Gayle says:

oops! I need ideas for lesson 37. Charity,the pure love of Christ. That will be my lesson for the second week in July. I do like to start early 🙂

35. Geraldine says:

I work for a UK teen magazine and I’m writing an article on why teens should say no to surgery until they have fully developed physically and mentally. Caroline’s story is perfect and I would love to use it in my article. How do I get in touch ASAP?

36. Jill says:

Has anyone written anything for RS lesson #37 yet? This website helps me a great deal with my lessons. I really enjoy reading others ideas 🙂 Thanks!!!

37. Sister Ba says:

Hello I was wondering for the 4th Sunday lesson how can you find out which talk it will be? Is it the same for all the wards or does it vary by stake?

38. Caroline says:

sister ba,
    The 4th lesson does vary by stake.

39. JanC says:

Where is lesson #38? I REALLY need some direction on this one:-) Thanks so much for all your ideas on the lessons. It really helps me present a different perspective to our sisters.

40. Donna says:

Any chance Relief Society Lesson #39 will be
    ready soon on “The Relief Society?
    Thanks ever so much……

41. Deborah says:

Alisa: It’ll be up tomorrow 🙂

42. JOYCE says:

I enjoyed your outline for lesson 38 The Wentworth Letter. How can I print it in larger print? Joyce

43. EmilyCC says:

Hi Joyce, I’m not a computer expert, but I highlight the text in the lesson and then, copy and paste it into Word. That allows me to change the text and format to whatever I need.

44. kellie dayton says:

Love the helps! But…those of us who need help usually need it at least a couple of weeks ahead of time. I would love to see the lesson helps posted sooner! It is a great relief to me to find some ideas and helps!!

45. Leslie says:

Lesson 42-Please!

46. EmilyCC says:

Hi Kellie, glad you find the lessons helpful! I’ll see what we can do.

Hi Leslie, you’re on top of it! But, I’m afraid we don’t have Lesson 42 scheduled to be finished until next Tuesday.

47. Karen says:

I am trying to find lesson Ideas for
    RS lesson 43 “He Was a Prophet of God”
    Contemporaries of Joseph Smith Testify of His Prophetic Mission.

Karen

48. Julie Cottam says:

When will you post lesson 42?

49. Nancy Clements says:

On today’s show of Let’s Make A Deal Waye Brady asked for a couple. He kept repeating I need a couple, one man and one woman, a couple, where is that man and woman. My comment is, why did he have to specify a man and a woman? A couple doesn’t neccessarily have to be one man and one woman. The producers need to bring him up to speed. I work with a lovely woman and her partner is another woman and they are a lovely couple. Am I to assume that they would have been overlooked if they were on the show today? Please clear up this problem.

50. Julie says:

I lost the address for the posting of lesson 42. Can you please email it to me again. I am teaching lesson 42 this Sunday! Help. Julie

51. Caroline says:

Julie, just go up to the right hand corner of the blog to the search feature and type in ‘relief society lesson 42’.

52. Lani says:

I am going to teach in two weeks lesson 45 in relief society. this is a lesson I am really struggling with. Do you have any ideas for this lesson? I would really appreciate it. Thank you. Lani

53. Natalie says:

Hi- Could you let me know if you have info on your website for the 2009 November Conference talks. (4th week) lesson? I see you have it for the Joseph Smith lesson book. If you could let me know, I would really appreciate it greatly.
    Thanks

54. EmilyCC says:

Hi Natalie, sorry, we only do the Joseph Smith manual lessons. Have you tried sugardoodle.net? They may know of a website that does conference talk lessons. Good luck!

55. Karri Oldham says:

Help! Have you posted anything on Relief Society Lesson #47. I am teaching this lesson and am having a hard time getting started.
    Thanks,

Karri

56. I am supposed to teach Lesson 47 Praise to the man This Sunday Dec 13 …..Help,,,,Thanks so much…………….

57. Caroline says:

I think that Relief Society Lesson 47 should be posted in the next few days. I would just keep checking back. Sorry to not be more specific…

58. Leslie says:

Lesson #47-PLEASE/!!!!!!!

59. Amy says:

When do you expect to post Lesson #48??

60. m Bradford says:

will you be having lesson ideas or plans for the 2010 lessons

61. EmilyCC says:

Amy, the manual only goes up to Lesson 47 🙂

m Bradford, we’ll start our lesson plans on the first Tuesday of January 2010.

62. Lori Smith says:

I was just wondering if there would be posts on the Gospel Principals lessons for 2010. I am struggling A LOT there is no material and I don’t know where to go with this. PLEASE HELP!!!

63. Kelly Ann says:

Lori, The first gospel principles lesson will be up in about a week. They will continue on the second and third Tuesday of every month.

64. Vickie says:

Just wondering if any of you know a site that posts TFOT lessons? I have just been called and my first lesson is More Diligent and Concerned at Home by Elder Bednar, Oct. 09. Any outline suggestions, attention getters, etc?
    Vickie

65. EmilyCC says:

Hi Vicki, we don’t do outlines for the TFOT lessons because they’re assigned on a stake or even ward basis. Amelia has a post with some good suggestions for how to prepare a lesson here: http://the-exponent.com/2009/03/15/preparation-how-to-plan-for-a-relief-society-lesson/

Good luck!

66. Laura S. says:

Hi. I’ve never posted a comment before but often look at this site for some ideas to incorporate into my RS lessons. I have to give a lesson next week on Lesson #3 – Jesus Christ. Our ward is using a little different schedule and I was wondering if anyone wanted to add something on that lesson before next month. I could really use a little help and I’m running out of ideas.

67. EmilyCC says:

Hi Laura S., what a bummer that your ward is ahead! Here are some old lessons we’ve done on Jesus Christ that may be helpful to you (and these lessons are done by two excellent teachers–Caroline and ZD’s Eve). Good Luck!

68. sandra says:

Is there any help for lesson 3 (Jesus Christ, Our Chosen Leader & Savior)?

69. lorie says:

i am actually wondering if any of the contributors make lesson plans for teaching for our times?

70. EmilyCC says:

Sandra, see my previous comment just above your’s for some possible resources. Hope that helps!

Lorie, we don’t do outlines for the TFOT lessons because they’re assigned on a stake or even ward basis. Amelia has a post with some good suggestions for how to prepare a lesson here: http://the-exponent.com/2009/03/15/preparation-how-to-plan-for-a-relief-society-lesson/ Good luck!

71. lorie says:

Thank you!

72. Brenda says:

How do I submit a Guest Post?
    Thanks

73. Alisa says:

Hi Brenda, you can submit your post at ExponentblogATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!

74. Laci says:

Hi,
    I wanted to let you know about another resource for the Relief Society. It is called Relief Society Sisters and you can find it at reliefsocietysisters.com. I put this website together to help women in the Relief Society share ideas, connect with other members, and also stay updated with what is happening in their ward. I hope you find it valuable.

Thanks.

75. EmilyCC says:

Laci, what a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

76. Ima says:

RS/PH Lesson 3: Beautiful Plan of Salvation poster/chart/hand-out

77. Leta C says:

I am looking for the material on lesson 3 of the gospel principles manual. Could you please help me with this?

78. Cathy says:

Hi I was wondering when or if lesson 3 in the manual will be up on the site.

79. C. Brinkerhoff says:

We are a lesson ahead of you..will be doing Lesson 4 for Feb 14… will you have lessons ahead like you did last year.
    I love your helps and want to use them… but you only have lesson 3 out posted…Thanks

80. Angela says:

Could you tell me the source from whence this quote came? You used it in the issue following the quote. (I can’t seem to find the source of the quote online anywhere, and an index search of Jesus the Christ does not pull it up). I’m looking for the source, page number, publication material, etc.

“Woman [shall] be recompensed in rich measure for all the injustice that womanhood has endured in mortality. Then shall woman reign by Divine right, a queen in the resplendent realm of her glorified state.” ~James E. Talmage

81. Lisa says:

When will the post for RS lesson #5 The Creation be posted.

82. Patty says:

good morning! I am waiting patiently for lesson 6 . The Fall of Adam. Your out lines help so much. Thanks
    Patty

83. Luralee Campbell says:

Where can I find lesson outline/helps for Lesson No. 5 in the new lesson book>

84. Caroline says:

Luralee,
    go up to the upper right hand corner of the blog to the search line and type ‘relief society lesson’ You’ll then see it listed.

85. Julie says:

I willo be teaching lesson #6 on 3/21. When will that lesson help be posted?

Thanks,
    Julie

86. mraynes says:

Hi Julie,

RS 6 is already up. If you type “Relief Society Lesson 6” into the search box in the upper right hand corner it should come right up.

87. Debbie Bush says:

As a musician I have noticed there are different pronunciations of ‘plaited’ in the hymn “Behold the Great Redeemer Die”.
    I have always heard ‘platted’ – but there seems to be a new trend of saying ‘plated’.
    Is there an official pronunciation? D.B.

88. Grammy says:

Three days and counting until Lesson #6
    I love your helps…

89. Joanne says:

How can I have my comments removed? Please advise. Thank you!

90. Lyn King says:

Do you do any lesson helps for the lessons that are based on conference talks? I found your site while preparing for my RS lesson from the manual, now they moved me to teach the lesson from the conference talk….HELP 🙂

91. Caroline says:

Hi Lyn,
    Unfortunately, we don’t, since each ward/stake chooses different conference talks to focus on. Sorry!

Caroline

92. amelia says:

just a follow up on caroline’s response to Lyn:

her point is totally accurate. it’s impossible to provide any sort of comprehensive help for conference talk lessons since they vary from congregation to congregation. that said, i frequently find myself not sure what i want to write about for my monthly posts (i post the 3rd monday of the month). and once in a while we have down days when someone either doesn’t have a post (that’s frequently me; sorry) or when no one’s scheduled to post.

i personally love planning lessons based on conference talks. i find them generally much more interesting than the relatively dull material in the manuals (i like the new manual more than the old prophet ones, but still). and if you were to send me an email with the reference to the conference talk i’d happily take a stab at it if time permits.

in other words, i can’t promise anything. and i obviously can’t give lesson preps for every conference talk scheduled that someone might be interested in ideas on. but if i have the time, i’d post something. if you know well enough in advance what you’ll be teaching and want some help, send a link to the talk to:

conferencetalksATgmailDOTcom

any other information you can send that might be helpful would be good, too–thoughts you have about how you’d like to approach the lesson; special needs of the sisters in your ward/area; etc.

like i said, i can’t promise anything. i may not have time. i may not have a chance to post something before you have to teach. but if i have time and if i have an opportunity to post, i’d be happy to do so.

93. Dan Howard says:

Hi, my wife uses this site for her relief Soc. lessons & has found it really useful. Do you have a Male website/ version you could recommend?
    All the best from the UK.
    Dan.

94. Guest Post says:

Dan: I think many, if not most, of our lesson helps would be applicable to teaching the men.

95. Leta says:

I need the information on Lesson 7 ( The Holy Ghost). Could you please publish it for me?

96. beth hardy says:

I was called to teach for the first time last month as the second week teacher in r/s. I was scarred to death! I found this website and got the help I needed to teach about the Creation. It was wonderful! Now it’s time for me teach lesson 7 ( The Holy Ghost ). Will there be any information for me to use? Thank you so much this great site.