“So, what have the Feminists been up to this week?” asks my husband quite regularly. Now I just show him this post and he learns for himself!
- The Research Information Division of LDS Church HQ conducted a survey to 1,000 randomly selected church members. The topic of the survey? “the roles, responsibilities and treatment of women in the church.” Did you get one?
- The release of Neylan McBaine’s book, Women at Church, and the simultaneous launch of the companion website, has generated a buzz about the “moderate Mormon woman” in the bloggernacle and beyond. Listen to Neylan’s interview, read an interview, read the BCC review of her book, read the Exponent review of her book, and check out Jana’s response to the book and the frilly pink poster. Julie M Smith writes an analogy of how the suggestions within the book may run into resistance.
- Speaking of the frilly pink poster advertising a women’s meeting but showing only the faces of men, here’s some more of the story about that.
- An important post about the visibility of Women in the LDS church and ways to improve it, even globally.
- BBC news ran a story about the aftermath of the excommunication of Ordain Women founder, Kate Kelly. Brother Otterson of the Church PR department was also interviewed. Though he labeled Kate an apostate, the Church PR dept declined to label OW as an apostate group. These are important stories to follow. Our friend, RJH over at bycommonconsent posted this interpretation.
- The September 2014 Ensign publishes a talk given last year by Elder Ballard about “Men and Women and Priesthood Power.” Again, Jana analyzes.
- What do women get? Have you all already seen the youtube video of Sheri Dew explaining that? Beatrice over at ZD writes a satirical response, “What do LDS men get?“
- Mormon women’s issues occasionally get picked up by mainstream media. Fighting BYU’s slut-shaming stance in Cosmopolitan, gender inequalities in the mission field by PRI, and stories of fear and hope in Chicago public media.
- Parents might like checking out the Mormon Therapist’s article about teaching kids about pornography.
Enjoy the weekend reading, everyone!